Rivendell Hacking

Open source software is great, even when it has faults, since one can fix it oneself and return the patch to the community right? Well almost, here's what I've been up to with the play-out software used at the local community radio station http://www.felixstoweradio.co.uk:

Win32 Binary Fixes

Short story

It seems none of the Rivendell developers are interested or able to build Win32 binaries at the moment, so I had to patch the binary program using IDA Pro to prevent a crash when creating new logs.

Get the patched file here: rdlogedit2.exe

Long story

About a year ago we installed the Windows binaries to allow our editing / production teams to create play lists from the comfort of their desktop(s) in the station office, or indeed at home. Unfortunately we found that it crashes when attempting to create a new play list (aka a 'log'): so I grabbed the source, a helpful stack dump from wine and settled down to fix the fault. The problem wasn't hard to find, a simple null pointer dereference because the Win32 version doesn't support multiple users, but someone forgot and referenced the currently logged in user name variable. All I had to do now was build a fresh binary and test it - this is where it all came unstuck as for some reason the developers had chosen to use a closed source version of QT (3.21) on Win32, so I had no means to rebuild the binary. Never mind, I'll just post the patch to the developers mailing list and ask them to rebuild it. I was duly thanked for finding the problem and lo! a new version of the source code appeared with the fix - but no Windows binaries :(

I waited for 6 months, pestered the developers slightly and waited some more - still no new binaries. It seems whoever had the right build tools and libraries (ie: a QT3.21 license) has gone away. So now I have to choose between trying to port everything to QT4 (which is open source on Win32), as suggested may be possible on the Wiki, or do something ugly - patch the binary :)

Well I chose the later since it was going to be quicker and we need it working now: a brief sojourn with IDA Pro, and the excellent advice from Marco Ramilli did the trick, overwriting the pointer reference with nop instructions and inserting a reference to the constant user name instead. Surprisingly this just worked. The fixed file is attached above.

AshbySoft: RivendellHacking (last edited 2011-01-31 19:01:07 by Phlash)